Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My March "New Years Resolution"

I've decided I need to become a "coupon mom." How often I go through the checkout line at the grocery store and they ask any coupons today? And I reply no, not today. And every time I think ok next time I am going to come with coupons but then I don't and yet again I pay way too much for groceries. I know there are deals to be had out there and so I intend to find them. I have already made a good start on my quest to find the coupons, the deals, and lower my grocery bill. I would love to cut my grocery bill in half or just be able to buy twice as much food for the same amount so I can stockpile in the freezer and be more giving to those in need. So the changes I have made so far:

1. I have started shopping at the Aunt Millies Thrift Store. On Wednesday's most of the bread is $.50. Today I got $9.70 worth of bread for $1.99. I think this is a great start to my new resolution! And all of it was whole grain bread! (12 grain bread, cinnamon raisin bread, and bagels)
2. I also stopped by Aldi's and picked up 3 bags of dried fruit....a healthy snack that I love to eat....for under $4. At Meijer I would have spent over $4 just for one bag of dried fruit. I think it is time for me to take more advantage of Aldi's.
3. On Monday I made trips to Walgreens and CVS. There are great deals to be had at both these stores. After I send in for the rebate Walgreens will have paid me for buying toothpaste and Garnier hair gel. Look for the items that are free after rebate. How can you go wrong? And at CVS I got 4 packages of toothpaste free, 2 toothbrushes free, and Garnier Fructis hairspray, shampoo, and conditioner each for $.99. Sweet!

I am well on my way but I know I have much more to learn. And this is a skill that I know must be developed. :) But I encourage all of you to make the same "New Years Resolution." We have probably all noticed the rise in cost for milk and eggs. Well be prepared because this is more than likely only the beginning. Corn prices have been higher than ever before and farmers are in "uncharted territory" according to my father-in-law. And while this looks to be a good thing for farmers it may not be such a good thing for the pocket book of most Americans. The rise in grain prices has not hit the supermarkets yet like it will. It takes lots of grain to make the food or feed the animals we all love to cook up on the grill or bake in the oven. It is conceivable that beef, pork, or even chicken prices could be 3x's the price they are now in the next 6 months to a year. Be prepared....start making changes now so your budget doesn't bust come next year. As I understand it one reason for the increase in corn prices is because for the first time ever the demand for food is higher than the supply and its very possible this will continue to be the trend. For example, in China, with the fast growing economy they no longer want to eat just rice, they can well afford it and so now they want meat. So the grain in their country is staying there. Thus the less America is able to import and the demand goes way up. (Yes Tim I have been paying attention and correct me if I don't have this right :) I don't understand it all, but this much makes sense to me. God has blessed us with so much and I want to be a good steward of what He has given me.

And if anyone has any more money or coupon saving ideas for me please let me know.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I've found www.moneysavingmom.com to be a great resource. Great thoughts!